Has your ego been bruised by being impossible to pass exams? Has Christmas shopping made you cry over your bank account balance? Has the commercialization of Christmas made you lose your faith in this festive season?
If you’re in that boat, you’re the only one. December is a notorious month for college students- endless assignments, countless hours of studying, and late nights wondering if you even need a degree. However, with the festive season approaching and the days to winter vacation coming close, there is a need for optimism. You need to release the spirit of that inner 5-year-old who woke up on Christmas day running down the stairs to see what gifts Santa left behind! Without further ado, here we provide you 10 oldie-but-goldie tips to get you in that fine holiday spirit!
- Find your Ugly-christmas sweater (or grandma sweater) and put it on.
2. Get a Christmas tree up and decorated! Afterwards, turn the house lights off, the tree lights on, and follow through with step 3.
3. Watch a holiday movie! From older titles like Home Alone, the Peanuts Christmas Special, or newer ones such as A Christmas Tale, anything holiday season will do. Or for those Sherlock Holmes fans, re-watch seasons 1-3 in preparation for Season 4!
4. Learn about the seven types of Christmas trees (yes, there are 7 of them!) and show off to everyone how much useful tree knowledge you have.
5. Fill your music library with holiday tunes! Nothing will remind you more that the festive season is upon us than the voice of Bing Crosby singing White Christmas.
“If someone tells you it’s too early for Christmas music, stop talking to them. You don’t need that kind of negativity in your life” – Unknown
6. Bake some butter rich sugary cookies and smell that vanilla scent fill the apartment.
7. Perform random acts of kindness and random acts of laughter. Whether this is opening a door for someone, donating to charity, or making someone laugh with an awful pun, small acts can make someone’s day.
8. Eat Christmassy food. With all the feasts and gala’s there is no shortage of delicious food. So fatten up and see the mercury in that spirit-o-meter expand!
9. Visit a Xmas market! Prague? Vienna? Cologne? Get yourself on the road to wonderland!
10. Dress up in glamorous attire and get tickets to the CSA-EUR Christmas Gala! Early-bird tickets are sold out, but you can still get yourself a seat at the upscale Aqua Asia and enjoy a 4-course dinner with your favorite pals or your stunning date. (Disclaimer: an After party is also included!)
Checking off these 10 tips and you should be set for a “Happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days”! – Charles Dickens
Written by Jeffrey Chen